End of Daylight Savings Time This Weekend

The Town of Milton and the Milton Fire Department would like to remind you of some important information regarding the end of daylight savings time this weekend.

NEWS RELEASE

October 28, 2015

End of Daylight Savings Time prompts reminder to test smoke alarms and change batteries

This year, Daylight Saving Time ends on Sunday, November 1st, and the Milton Fire Department is recommending that residents install new batteries in their smoke alarms when they change back their clocks.

“In order for smoke alarms to do their job and save lives, they need to have working batteries,” explained Fire Chief Brian Ellsworth. “Once a year, old batteries should be replaced with new batteries. It is the law to have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in your home, so what better opportunity to think about fire safety than during the extra hour we gain back this weekend.

Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms provide an early warning in order to survive a fire or CO poisoning incident. The law requires residents to have working smoke alarms on every storey of the home and outside all sleeping areas. For added protection, it is recommended to also install smoke alarms inside all bedrooms and CO alarms adjacent to utility rooms and sleeping areas.

Tampering with or removing the batteries from your smoke alarms is against the law. Failure to comply with the Fire Code smoke alarm requirements can result in a ticket for $235 or a fine of up to $50,000.

“The Milton Fire Department also recommends reviewing your personal and family’s emergency plan this fall,” added Chief Ellsworth. “Knowing how to respond when a smoke alarm sounds will help you and your loved ones survive an emergency situation.”

For more information on fire safety, visit www.miltonfire.ca or call 905-878-9251.

– 30 –

For further information, please contact:

Brian Ellsworth, Fire Chief

905-878-7252, ext. 2807

Dave Pratt, Deputy Fire Chief

905-878-7252, ext. 2809

Dryer Fire Averted

Thanks to Julie Slack at the Milton Canadian Champion, Fire Chief Ellsworth and Randy Korry from Milton Fire Department for their assistance in getting this message out.

In case anyone is wondering I used Iain at www.dryerventcleaner.ca for the work done and highly recommend him.

Councillor has close call with dryer

Mike Cluett shook with fear when he looked at the charred lint that was cleaned out of his dryer last week.

The distinct possibility that a fire was imminent left the Ward 6 councillor stricken with “what-if scenarios” — none of them good.

Cluett and his wife had just returned home from the New Year’s Eve bell-ringing ceremony at Town Hall, tossed a load of laundry into the dryer and sat down to watch television.

Moments later the smell of smoke brought both of them to the second-floor laundry room, but they couldn’t locate a source of fire.

Just to be safe, Cluett, who has lived in the house for three years, said he unplugged the dryer and the next day, contacted an area dryer vent cleaner.

When the cleaner disassembled the gas-operated unit, he asked Cluett to take a look.

“I was shaken when I saw what could have happened,” he said last week, when he sat down with the Champion and fire officials to alert residents to check their own dryers. “This was not a matter of if (it would catch fire), it was a matter of when.”

The cleaner showed him a charred mess of built-up lint that had singed a large portion of the interior dryer. When the drum was completely removed, the black remnants of ignited lint revealed just how close he had come to experiencing a fire.

In his case, his children’s bedrooms are located beside and down the hall from the laundry room.

Cluett said despite regular removal of lint from the trap after each cycle, lint was backed up in the outdoor exhaust duct.

A metal bird protector affixed to the outside of the house prevented the lint in the exhaust duct from properly escaping.

As a result, much of the pipe became blocked with dryer lint. Inside the house, near the gas source, the lint was charred and clearly showed signs of being ignited, Cluett said.

To prevent the build-up, Cluett had the metal cage removed and a louvered air vent installed to allow proper lint escape.

Milton Fire Chief Brian Ellsworth said he doesn’t have numbers, but acknowledged that lint build-up in dryers like Cluett’s has caused house fires in numerous cases across the province.

He suggested residents take measures to ensure this doesn’t happen.

“Check the outdoor ducts, and install a smoke alarm inside the laundry room,” he said.

Milton Fire Department (MFD) fire prevention inspector Barry Kory echoed his concerns, adding that people need to be made aware of the possibility that lint build-up can most definitely be the source of a fire.

“Regular maintenance is a must,” he said.

He also reiterated the importance of not running appliances when residents aren’t home.

“It’s simple, don’t run the dryer when you’re not at home,” Kory said.

In addition to adding a smoke alarm to the laundry room, Kory said the MFD is encouraging the public to install smoke alarms in the garage — another area that has been the source of fire for several house fires in Milton and Halton in the past.

Julie Slack can be reached at jslack@miltoncanadianchampion.com or on Twitter @miltonmusing.

MADD Canada Documentary Being Filmed in Milton

Just as a reminder to my previous post, the area around Louis St Laurent and Hwy 25 will be closed to traffic as MADD Canada is filming its 3rd documentary in Milton.

The filming will include a simulated car accident so if you do see activity there, thats the reason.  Halton Police and Milton Fire Department will be on hand during the filming and area residents have been informed.

Here’s the email received today with further details.

Further to my e-mail from a few weeks ago, please be advised that filming permits have been issued for the above filming project which is a documentary.

Filming will be taking place on October 25,26,27, 2012 (rain date October 28, 2012)from 6:00 p.m. – 6:00 a.m.

Louis St Laurent Avenue will be closed to through traffic between Bronte Street South and Diefenbaker Street during the filming as a car crash will be taking place. Advanced Road Closures have been in place for the past week and detour signage will be installed during the filming. Halton Regional Police will be on site during the entire filming project.

Access to local residents will be maintained via Diefenbaker Street and Leiterman Drive.

Milton Fire Department will be on site while the crash is occurring. After the crash the car will be removed off of the street and placed on the shoulder until the next night. The filming company will be signing the car so passerby’s know it is related to filming and not an actual crash.

Area residents have been notified and signed a petition in support of the filming.

It should be noted that this is the 3rd time that MADD has filmed a documentary in Milton.