Fire victims thankful for donation offers, but decline
The family whose home was destroyed by fire after a gas main ruptured yesterday has asked the people of Milton to save their donations for those who truly need them.
Hamid Khan, who lived in the Bennett Boulevard home with his wife, eight-year-old son and five- and three-year-old daughters, said he appreciated the sentiment behind the donations but added that he had insurance to cover the damage and a “good job” to provide for his family during the days ahead.
He added: “God bless those who want to give.”
So far Shoeless Joe’s, the Salvation Army and Mattamy Homes have offered to act as drop-off locations for giving families.
See article for more…
Many thanks to the people who over the last 18 hours have emailed me offering to help these families in need. Its been a busy time for a lot of people involved from the fire / police department, to the Union Gas employees working until 330AM last night to the dozens of volunteers to help out at EC Drury school for the heating centre.
There are currently plans in the works with Salvation Army to co-ordinate a drop off for the famlies involved in the fire and I should have an update soon. So far to my knowledge there are 2 other locations for people to drop off items. One location is Shoeless Joe’s in Milton (thanks to Z1035 tweeting that info) and the other location is the Mattamy Sales office at Derry Road and Trudeau.
If you want to drop off at the Mattamy Sales office you can go during business hours (today 1PM to 8PM, Friday from 1PM to 6PM, Sat & Sun 11AM to 6PM) up until this Sunday December 19th.
I’ll try to find out the hours for Shoeless Joes and update this post as soon as I can.
Kashif from the Hawthorne Villager, who is a good friend of the family involved also is accepting any items people are willing to donate. His email is firstname.lastname@example.org
I should also have an update on a bank account to help out the family as well. Stay tuned!
As at 1300 hours, Union Gas advises that approximately 400 homes have service restored. They hope to have the remainder completed this afternoon.
Just received a call from Hawthorne Village PS and school classes are on for today despite the fire damage and Union Gas workers across the street.
It looks like half the homes have been brought back online throughout the night by Union Gas workers. Many of you have emailed me around 2 or 3 AM saying that they were there…wow thats amazing. Union Gas stated this morning they are looking at getting everyone back up by later on this morning. If someone can stay home today as they go around or if you can have a neighbour with your key it could speed things up. If not, they will leave a contact number and as soon as you get home … call and they will have someone out very soon.
Again, I will try to find out how we can help this family out because I along with other people have been blown away by the tweets, emails and phone calls of concern and support fo this family, especially at this time of year. I was just on air with Scott Fox from Z1035 Morning Show (click HERE for the interview)and HE’S been called as well by hundreds of people on how they can help out. THIS is why Milton is the best place in the world! Updates will be coming soon.
Some gas services have been restored for homes in the affected area. I was at the warming centre at EC Drury earlier this evening and spoke with the represetnatives at Union Gas. The number of homes affected are approximately 500, instead of the originally reported 1200. They are running into some delays due to water in the pipelines that has to be removed.
Ive asked them to send me updates as the process goes and I’ll do my best to update this site as it comes in.
I spoke with Regional Chair Gary Carr (who is at the warming station as we speak) and he updated me that the union gas worker who was injured suffered second degree burns to his face and is at Milton Hospital with family. Everything looks good so far.
I also wanted to say big thanks to other Milton Councillors who came out to the warming station to lend a hand. Regional Councillor Colin Best, Ward 2 Councillor Greg Nelson and Ward 8 Councillor Zeeshan Hamid. We have a great team and this just proves it more.
AGAIN…there is a warming centre at EC Drury set up for people with no heat and they will put families up at the Best Western overnight so please, if you are at home and its cold especially with small children, head out to that area. Union Gas is doing what they can to get people up and running and it might be by the early hours of the morning before all service is restored.
Ive uploaded CHCH News coverage of todays events. They were there on the scene and did extensive coverage of today’s fire and have an interview with the home owner as well. Great Job CHCH News.
Regarding homes that are currently in the process of having their gas turned off, PLEASE NOTE that there is a warming centre at EC Drury School on Ontario Street. It will get cold tonight and if youre by yourself, or dont think you can stay warm PLEASE go to the warming centre. Better safe than sorry.
More updates to come.
For some more information on today’s events go to MILTONSEARCH.COM and their coverage of the fire. Between tweets of todays events, phone calls from obviously stressed out and scared residents in Ward 6, its been a busy day. Many people have been asking how they can help this family out. From what Ive been told by Councillor Colin Best is that the Red Cross has been called in and taking care of the immediate needs of the family. I should have more information tomorrow on how you can help out.
From the last news release I’ve received Mayor Gord Krantz is still on the scene from about 630PM onwards reviewing the progress. Thanks to everyone who tweeted, re-tweeted updates from myself and others on the scene and for your generous inquiries to help people out. THIS is what makes Milton the best place in the world.
Say a prayer for the family involved and I will have some more information tomorrow.
December 15, 2010
Structural fire contained in Milton’s Beaty neighbourhood
On Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at approximately 2:30 p.m., a structural fire occurred at the intersection of Clark Avenue and Bennett Blvd in Milton. The fire is suspected to have been caused by damage to a natural gas line.
The fire has now been extinguished by the Milton Fire Department, and the area is safe for residents.
Three of nine interconnected townhomes at the intersection of Clark and Bennett have been affected by the fire. Approximately 10 to 20 homes in the area were evacuated.
Non-life threatening injuries were sustained by one Union Gas worker, who is currently in hospital.
As part of the repair process, natural gas service to approximately 500 customers in the area may be temporarily interrupted. The natural gas supply has been shut off to the affected residential area of Yates Blvd to the north, Thompson Road to the west, Clark Blvd to the south and Bennett and McDowell Avenues to the east.
Please note that Union Gas representatives will need to enter affected homes and businesses to safely turn on all natural gas appliances and equipment. Union Gas employees or their representatives showing proper identification will be going door-to-door to do this. If residents cannot be at home, please consider leaving a key and access instructions with a neighbour.
In the unlikely event that your home has no heat and you do not have friends or family nearby to visit, Halton Region has opened a warming centre in the auditorium of E.C. Drury High School at 215 Ontario Street South in Milton. The centre will be open as long as needed. Families are advised to bring books, activities, etc., to keep children entertained during their time at the centre. No pets will be allowed in the warming centre.
Please ensure at least one member of your household remains at home as Union Gas representatives need to turn on all natural gas appliances and equipment in affected homes in order to restore gas service.
For continued updates, contact 311 or visit www.milton.ca until the situation has been resolved. For Union Gas customer service, call 1-877-969-0999.
– 30 –
For further information, please contact: On Duty Staff Sergeant
Halton Regional Police Service
905-825-4777 ext. 2400